Today I had a chat with Aron Beierschmitt, the CEO of Beyond Games, a games company based out of San Francisco, CA. The company is a distributed games company, with teams operating from several locations. Aron started his games career in 2009, when he founded his first games company Foundation Games.
We discuss with Aron about how he wanted to step out of the games industry, once his first games company had failed. He eventually noticed that other tech industries are not as challenging as making games and understanding the metrics and the players, so he wanted to get back in and went on to become the CEO of Beyond Games.
Topics that we cover in this episode are:
- You started in 2009, at that time Zynga came to the scene, and Faceboook gaming was changing everything. What was that like?
- VCs in gaming, the climate in US, especially in Silicon Valley
- How do you see building games companies in SF, now and in the future?
- Remote work in gaming: How have you managed to set up a distributed company?
- Do you have an understanding on the return on investment with working with high profile external IP?
- If you had a time machine and could go back to 2009, what would be your advice to starting your first games company?
- How can a games founder develop the skills to kill their games?
Content mentioned on this episode:
- Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov
You can listen to the episode on these podcast apps and services:
- Listen on Apple iTunes
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Stitcher
- More links to your favorite Podcast apps, click here