Post is sponsored by Gameye
Gameye is a platform independent game server auto-scaling solution. Game sessions are spread out over multiple providers to achieve the best possible coverage in every region of the world. Gameye is your one-stop-shop for all your server orchestration needs. They create and provide their own API for this, which lets you scale when you need it, in locations close to your players. Check out www.gameye.com
Today I’m talking with Reko Ukko, the Co-Founder and SVP of Game Design at Seriously Entertainment, with offices in Helsinki and LA. Reko has been in so many gaming companies during his career, so we spent most of the episode to cover the different game development processes that he’s seen. how do you come up with game ideas, how do you approach game mechanics and how decisions get made, to finally get a game out. From racing games to Best Fiends.
Topics that we cover in this episode include:
- Let’s break down your different designer experiences prior to Seriously, from Bugbear, all the way to Natural Motion
- What is critical for you, to do game design well?
- For the decision-makers and stakeholders, what fundamental knowledge should they have on game design?
- You were responsible for the design of the original Best Fiends game. Can you talk through the process of coming up with the concept, prototyping, getting initial positive signs, and finally soft launching the game?
- As a co-founder and SVP of Game Design, how do you influence the work that goes into making better game design at Seriously?