Post is sponsored by Gameye
Gameye is a platform independent game server auto-scaling solution. Game sessions are spread out over multiple providers to achieve the best possible coverage in every region of the world. Gameye is your one-stop-shop for all your server orchestration needs. They create and provide their own API for this, which lets you scale when you need it, in locations close to your players. Check out www.gameye.com
Martial and his co-founders have been experimenting with a flat organization model since the founding of the company. Through trial and error, they have identified a model that works.
In July 2019, Martial posted a presentation on Linkedin, which highlighted their “laborious process towards a flatter organization”. The LinkedIn discussion can be found here and Martial’s presentation is available from below.
Topics that we discuss in this episode include:
- You have a very inspiring presentation that you shared on LinkedIn this summer, talking about your approach to organization design. Why did you create that presentation?
- Where did the management and organization evolution start from at Oh Bibi?
- Why was the management in your case to be blamed for people leaving?
- Then you invented something called Delegation Poker, can you explain that?
- By delegating and letting people do what they are best at seems to have been your solution. How do you still set criteria for killing a game, retention benchmarks for soft launch?
- You mention that mission and principles where key to the success of the organization setup, can you tell me what the defining mission and principles are?
- How did you talk through the changes in the management and how did you discuss it with your board and investors?
- If you would be a new company with ten people, how would you organize things before the growth starts?
- A flat organization surfaces people’s skills, abilities and strengths, and in a way it enables a meritocratic system. Doesn’t that cause a hierarchy in the back of people’s minds?
You can listen to the episode on:
- Listen on Apple iTunes
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Stitcher
- More links to your favorite Podcast apps, click here
To hear more about how a flat organization can work for a games company, head on over to an earlier episode, the EGD 005: Flat organization in a games company with Jami Laes Founder and CEO of Futureplay Games.